Contrary to what you may have heard, a hacker from continents away is not the only threat to your customers’ sensitive data. A simple mistake is often the culprit.
In fact, one in three data breaches results from human error
EVEN HONEST MISTAKES CAN CAUSE A DATA BREACH
Here are just some of the ways:
- A flash drive with your clients’ social security numbers is misplaced
- A box of files with sensitive customer information isn’t shredded, leaving it vulnerable to ID thieves
- A laptop with customers’ personal information is stolen from the backseat of your car
- A tablet that stores clients’ credit card numbers is left on a restaurant chair and never recovered
When they happen to you, your business is at risk. The damage control, legal expenses, and paperwork can be overwhelming. Some small businesses never recover.
The good news is that there’s an affordable way to help prevent and protect against data breach losses.
The Hartford offers data breach coverage to help you before and after a breach occurs. It includes:
Online resources that can help you prevent and prepare for breaches, such as:
- Protection tips, breach scenarios and best practices
- Up-to-date consumer, regulatory and third-party requirements for notifying customers of a breach
- An incidence response plan template for minimizing the impact of a breach
Coverage for these costs if a breach ever occurs, including:
- Expenses for notifying impacted customers and employees, such as mailing costs
- Damage control costs, such as good faith advertising
PROTECTION THAT FLEXES WITH YOUR BUSINESS NEEDS
Depending on the nature of your business and customers or clients, you may need more or less coverage. You can choose:
- First-party response expense coverage by itself, or
- First-party response expense coverage with third-party defense and liability coverage
You can also tailor your coverage limits. See below:
First-Party Response Expense Coverage
- Investigating whether a breach occurred
- Notifying those at risk, including the cost of letter-writing and mailings
- Public relations and good-faith advertising for helping to restore your business’s reputation
- Credit monitoring of people who may be impacted, if needed
Standard flexible choices:
• Available limits: $10,000; $25,000; $50,000; $100,000
• Deductible limit per claim ranges from $1,000 to $2,500, depending on the limit selected
Third-Party Defense and Liability Coverage
Pays for costs you’re legally obligated to pay:
- Civil awards
Standard flexible choices:
- Available limits: $50,000; $100,000; $250,000; $500,0006 • No deductible • Defense costs are within the limits purchased
BEFORE A GLITCH TURNS INTO A LIABILITY, ASK YOUR AGENT ABOUT DATA BREACH COVERAGE.
Contact Insurance Brokers Group at 800-459-6060 for more information or get your Data Breach Coverage quote.